Monday 14 September 2015

Little Gamer Update - Long Overdue

Well hello, Once again it has been awhile since I have written anything for the site. There is good reason for this though, I have been playing games, games, games! 2015 is proving to be one of the best years ever for video games and we have not even got to the manic winter gaming rush. So what has been keeping me playing and not writing. Well if you indulge me let me tell you about the last few months...


The Witcher 3 came out the day before I went on holiday, which meant I had to wait 2 weeks to get stuck into it properly. Boy was the wait worth it. This is the game I wanted Dragon Age Inqusition to be. The combat, the story and the world are just awesome. Many other people have compared that game to Red Dead Redemption with swords and I have to agree. It has that sense of discovery where you know if you wander off the path you are bound to find something amazing or terrifying. I have have probably played about 30 hours of this game and still feel like I have only just scratched the surface.



The one thing that has impressed me the most is developer, CD Projekt Red, commitment to the fans of its game. Releasing 16 Free DLC's as part of the games launch and also constantly patching and fixing issues has been a breath of fresh air after last years broken game saga. Its nice to feel appreciated by the game makers once in a while.

I could write more about The Witcher, but I don't know how to sum up such masterpiece of open world adventure in a few words. Oh wait, I just did!

The world of The Witcher had to go on hold in June as I got my hands on the only game that mattered to me this year, Batman: Arkham Knight. If look back over this sites history I have been a huge fan of the Arkham games and I have been looking forward to getting my hands on Rocksteady's final part in their Arkham Trilogy. Its hard to believe that a month after The Witcher set the visual bar to new highs, that Arkham Knight would come along and raise it even higher. There is a good reason why Rocksteady wanted to develop this game for next generation consoles and that is because Gotham City has never looked this good. The game introduces the Batmobile as a playable vehicle and where it does feel like they took every opportunity to make you use it. I did not find it as bad as others have.  So I tried my best to record my whole playthrough using the built in PS4 capture and ShareFactory and it was all going well. Until the end of the game did not record because of the gameplay spoilers blocking feature. Still trying to figure out how to  present this using the limited set-up I have. 



After finishing the main story, I did actualy spend the next 2 weeks getting all 243 Riddler trophies to get the final 100% ending for Arkham Knight. It did not dissapoint and Rocksteady have finished their trilogy on a high. Tremendous game! I cannot wait for what ever they do next.


After all this excitement, how about a change of pace? How about a visit to the Shropshire countryside? Well, thats exactly what I did in Everbody's Gone To The Rapture, the latest game from The Chinese Room. These are the guys behind critically revered game, Dear Esther. This game follows a similar vein, in that it is a slow exploration game in which you walk (slowly) through  a world where no-one is left and you piece together the events as you go along.

Rather than the grim post apocalyptic visions of The Last of Us, Fallout or The Walking Dead, this game presents us with a very British apocalypse. It is essentially The Archers meets The Twilight Zone. As you wander through the fist village of Yaughton, you follow balls of light, which lead to spots which trigger a scene between inhabitants of the village. They are represented as a shimmering silhoutette of person. You began to find out more about what happened and why everyone has now gone.



It is a wonderful game that is both beautiful and haunting at the same time. It may not be everyones cup of tea (possible sequel title there) but if you are looking for more in a game than just the usual action orientated gun fest, then a trip to Yaughton might be what you are looking for.

So thats really what I have been upto. Somewhere, in there I also traded in the New 3DS and went back to a Vita. A nice new slim one which I love even more than my old OLED one. So I am back to remote play and playing old Metal Gear games in my lunch. Speaking of Metal Gear, I hear there is a new one out soon? Watch this space... or more importantly check out the new look YouTube Gaming page for TwolittleGamers here!

No comments:

Post a Comment