Monday 25 November 2013

Little Gamer Update - Its been awhile...


Wow, three weeks can just fly by if you let it. There have been several reasons why things have been quiet on the Two Little Gamers front this month. The main reason is that last month saw Two Little Gamers hit its highest ever monthly views ever with over 5700, besting the previous best by over 1000 views. Couple this with the all time views of the site hitting over 60,000 (10,000 more than the target I set at the beginning of the year). I had to celebrate in the only way I could think.... by taking a break!



A break that was well needed, with GTA Online, Batman: Arkham Origins and Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag all needing my attention, it has been nice to be able to just play the games rather than having to write about them as well.  As the current generation moves aside to the next generation of consoles, the last few games I have been playing are astounding on the old hardware.


It all started with GTA V, a game that hasa had its claws firmly in me since its launch back in September. I still have yet to finish the main single player campaign and every time I try, I get lost in the incredible world that Rockstar have created. Then after a shaky launch, GTA Online took the GTA V experience and cranked it to 10. GTA Online is simply amazing and has produced more ear to ear grinning moments for me. Whether it be playing getaway driver, whilst your companion robs a convience store, then avoiding the law as they race to intercept you. Or, chasing down a bounty halfway across San Andreas, ramming their car off the road and finishing them off in a hail of bullets as they flee from the wreckage, before collecting your reward. GTA Online is full of moments like this and I am sure it will keep me coming back for a long time to come.


After almost two months of solid Grand Theft Auto, a change finally came in the form of not one but two Batman games. Arkham Origins takes Rocksteady's series and gives it to another developer, who quite rightly decided not to rock the boat. The game sticks close to the Arkham City model and that is no bad thing. The one thing that Arkham Origins has got is the best storyline of the series so far. Apart from early bugs that affected fast travel and framerate I have really enjoyed being Batman once again.

On the other hand there is Armature's Batman: Arkham Origins Blackagte for the PS Vita and Nintendo 3DS. The game is good and a interesting move away from the console series. Taking a 2D-ish perspective and playing more like a Metroid game, but somehow manages to capture the feel of the original Arkham Asylum. Unfortunately, after a game breaking bug when I was at 80% of my first playthrough, I have found it difficult to trawl through it again. A shame as I was really looking forward to portable Batman game.


Finally, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, a game that deserves far more of my time than I can currently give it. Black Flag more than makes up for last years disappointing Assassin's Creed III and manages to do that in its opening 10 minutes. No long over complicated introductions for characters you don't care about. Black Flag slams you into the shoes of pirate Edward Kenway and his unique "induction" into the world of Assassins and Templars. From then on its open world pirating goodness all the way, whether you are boarding and capturing ships, hunting for lost treasure or stealing from rich plantations, there is some much on offer to do and none of it seems pointless or too much. Far Cry 3's hunting system has been lifted straight into the game as well and really improves the hunting sections of the game. Just wish I had more time on the run up to Christmas to play it. Also, I am kind of holding off to enjoy this on a next gen machine maybe?

As for the Little Gamers, Disney Infinity stills rules their gaming and also their Christmas lists. Which is nice for me too! Can't wait to boot up the Toy Story play set on Christmas Day! Eldest is still hard at work on her Minecraft hotel, complete with individually designed rooms. She is putting my efforts to shame, which usually involve me and a bunch of TNT. Little one is playing the CBeebies Playtime app, which is available on iOS and Android devices. It offers a great mix of games and learning tools themed around their favorite CBeebies characters and shows. Special mention to the Alphablocks phonics game which is really useful for a child that has just started Reception.

Anyway, I have had enough time off, so I guess I had better get on with the site now.

No comments:

Post a Comment